Frequently Asked Questions - Town Clerk

FAQs - Town Clerk

New York State Law requires that all dogs must be licensed in the Town, City or Village where the dog is harbored at the age of 4 months.  For new dog licenses, a current rabies certificate and a spay/neuter certificate, if applicable, is required.  For a renewal, a rabies certificate, if required, must be presented.  (The rabies vaccination must be in effect for at least one full month after the issued date of the license.)  Fees for un-neutered or un-spayed dogs are $15.00; for neutered and spayed dogs, $8.00.  To renew dog licenses by mail, please enclose both parts of the renewal form sent to you, along with all necessary paperwork to the Town Clerk's Office.

A couple who intends to be married in New York State must apply for a marriage license in person to any Town or City Clerk in the State.  Each applicant must have proof of identification such as drivers’ license, passport, and a birth certificate.  If either party has been previously married, you must bring the final divorce decree of all divorces and/or copy of death certificates, if applicable.  The marriage license must be obtained at least 24 hours prior to the ceremony.  The license is valid for 60 days.  The fee for a marriage license is $40.00

Age Requirements:  The age of consent is 18 years old

        17 year olds - either parent or judicial consent would be necessary


Applicants must bring drivers license for proof of residency, as well as a previous license or training certificate for proof of eligibility.  The conservation year runs from October 1st to September 30th.  License sales for the upcoming year begin in Mid-August.

Applicants must be a resident of the Town of Greenfield.  The applicant and the applicant's physician must complete NYS Form MV664.1.  Applicant should also bring their driver's license or non-driver I.D.  Permits for Permanent Disability are issued for 5 years.  Upon expiration, return to the issuing clerk for a replacement tag.  A new MV664.1 form is not required.  Permits for Temporary Disability are issued for up to 6 months.  This permit can only be extended with a letter from the physician or submission of a new MV664.1 form.  There is no charge for Handicapped Parking Permits.

In order to have Saratoga County pay for a portion of his or her community college tuition, a student must obtain a Certificate of Residence and submit it to the college.  You must apply for your certificate no later than the start of classes and no sooner than 60 days prior to the start of classes.  A Certificate is valid for one year.


  •         Student must be a resident of the Town of Greenfield for at least one year.
  •         Must bring a document dated 12-18 months old, showing the name and current Town of Greenfield address
  •         Must bring a document dated within the last 30 days, showing the name and current Town of Greenfield address

Examples of acceptable proof:

  •         Driver's License
  •         Bank Statement
  •         Car registration
  •         Paycheck stub
  •         Dated mail or postmarked envelopes
  •         College acceptance letter
  •         Utility/Phone bills
  •         High School Report Cards, Interim reports, transcripts

The Town of Greenfield Clerk's Office follows the guidelines as set forth by the New York State Health Department for all searches of birth, death or marriage records.  Applicants must complete a written application.  NO INFORMATION WILL BE FURNISHED OVER THE TELEPHONE.  Birth, Death and Marriage records are confidential and are not open for public inspection.  The Freedom of Information Law does not apply to Vital Records.  Searching of records must be conducted only by the Registrar and Deputy Registrar.  In the Town of Greenfield, the Town Clerk and her deputy serve as Registrar and Deputy Registrar.

Upcoming Events

Sun May 08
Mother's Day
Tue May 10 @ 7:00PM -
Planning Board Meeting
Wed May 11 @ 1:30PM - 03:30PM
Food Panty
Thu May 12 @ 7:00PM -
Town Board Meeting
Wed May 18 @ 1:30PM - 03:30PM
Food Panty
Wed May 25 @ 1:30PM - 03:30PM
Food Panty
Mon May 30
Tue May 31 @ 7:00PM -
Planning Board Meeting

Contact Us


Town Hall Address
house 7 Wilton Road
       Greenfield Center, NY 12833

Mailing Address
house PO Box 10
       Greenfield Center, NY 12833

Town Hall Hours

Monday - Friday: 9 AM - 3 PM
Saturday: 9 AM - Noon (Labor Day - Memorial Day)
phone icon Phone: (518) 893-7432
fax Fax: (518) 893-2460
Staff Login